My '06 Toyota Aurion SX6 Sportivo

Over al je verbouwingen, aanpassingen, enz...

Moderator: Moderator

Perre
CCNL Member
CCNL Member
Type Corolla: E11
Type Corolla: E11Station

Re: My '06 Toyota Aurion SX6 Sportivo

Bericht door Perre »

Nice mods once again. I think I agree with the tackyness of the blinking. Just like the audis that have running light indicators.
If you don't like the tinted black look, there is red tint too. This keeps the red reflector look, but still dulls the light a bit.
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

Bericht door Kiwi-Corolla »

Perre schreef:Nice mods once again. I think I agree with the tackyness of the blinking. Just like the audis that have running light indicators.
If you don't like the tinted black look, there is red tint too. This keeps the red reflector look, but still dulls the light a bit.
Thanks mate. I completely agree. I've never liked how some Audis have the DRL that turns off when you indicate. Makes it look like there's a malfunction in the circuit, lol. If the LED bumper lights scrolled the LEDs when it blinked it might be alright, but just plain flashing is kinda dumb. Good advice on the red tint. I actually bought some online a few hours ago, so when it gets here I'll add some more pics :)
masterpivo
Ambassador member
Ambassador member
CCNL lidnummer: 0
Type Corolla: Auris
Type Corolla: E15 2.2D4d

Bericht door masterpivo »

Again a nice (two nice) upgrades! :) For the reflector lights, for sure I'ld go for the tinted version! Looks way better then the brighter non-tinted ones. What Perre mentions about red tint, that might also be a good option. But still the fact that they apear black when the lights are off, it just gives it that non-standard look (what I like ;) ).
'09 Auris E15 2.2D4d D-CAT GT180
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

masterpivo schreef:Again a nice (two nice) upgrades! :) For the reflector lights, for sure I'ld go for the tinted version! Looks way better then the brighter non-tinted ones. What Perre mentions about red tint, that might also be a good option. But still the fact that they apear black when the lights are off, it just gives it that non-standard look (what I like ;) ).
Thanks for your opinion man. I hummed and harred about it yesterday and eventually decided to pull the tint off. It looked too illegal smoked so I didn't want any unwanted attention from the 5-0 ;). Should look good with the red tint though when it arrives :)

Something a bit different from me - Night shots!! We decided to take the kids into town last night since they've never been before, so while we were there I took the opportunity to take some night shots of the Aurion with the Auckland Sky Tower in the background.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
masterpivo
Ambassador member
Ambassador member

Nice pics mate!
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

Thanks mate! :)

Figured that I should post a few other small things that have been done over the last couple of months that made a noticeable difference (or at least to me anyway, haha). The photos were taken before some of the latest updates (carbon lip etc) but include chrome trim around the silver dash inserts and front fog light surrounds, a facelift Aurion license plate bracket that I modified to fit the pre-facelift front bumper so the plate sits nicer with the large frame, the reinstall of my original knob type A/C controls but wrapped in carbon vinyl to match my centre console and an updated photo of my engine bay as it stands right now.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
masterpivo
Ambassador member
Ambassador member

Some subtile, but nice updates! The lights I see in the feet area, is that OEM or also fitted by yourself?
The licenseplate holder is much better like this! I need to have a thing like that as well for my Auris/Corolla! :P
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

masterpivo schreef:Some subtile, but nice updates! The lights I see in the feet area, is that OEM or also fitted by yourself?
The licenseplate holder is much better like this! I need to have a thing like that as well for my Auris/Corolla! :P
Thanks! Yes, the foot lights were installed by me and were a genuine Toyota optional extra for the Japanese Camry's (same interior as the Aurion). I had to drill into the plastic trim to fit them and run the wiring but it was pretty straight forward and they turn on when any of the doors are opened and go off/fade out after 24-seconds when the doors are shut, or 8-seconds after the car is locked.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

New photos:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

After almost a year of the having the King Springs installed and never really being satisfied with the horrendous fender gap at the front compared to the slammed look at the back, I decided to do something about it and get new springs and shocks. I toyed with the idea of coilovers, but due to needing a cert it just wasn't justifiable enough for me, but luckily these new Dobi springs have dropped it to a coilover-like height without all of the extra expense. To achieve the perfect drop all round I ended up reusing the King Springs in the rear and only used the Dobi springs in the front.

You may notice that the carbon front lip isn't in the photos.....Reason being is that it ripped off from the front bumper trying to get into my garage....twice. So after two unsuccessful attempts to overcome the small concrete lip at the entrance of the garage I decided that a front lip is just never going to work at this sort of height. Even now the bottom of the bumper scrapes against the concrete coming in, and that's minor compared to most places I go, so it's probably for the best :D

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
masterpivo
Ambassador member
Ambassador member

One word: NAAAAIIICCEEEEE!!! :D :D

Kiwi-Corolla schreef:You may notice that the carbon front lip isn't in the photos.....Reason being is that it ripped off from the front bumper trying to get into my garage....twice. So after two unsuccessful attempts to overcome the small concrete lip at the entrance of the garage I decided that a front lip is just never going to work at this sort of height. Even now the bottom of the bumper scrapes against the concrete coming in, and that's minor compared to most places I go, so it's probably for the best :D
And one word about this: brilliant!! :D :D This is how decisions about customizing your car has to be made! ;)
toyo bob
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
CCNL lidnummer: 370
Type Corolla: AE82
Contacteer:

Bericht door toyo bob »

A couple of mods ago I thought you couldn't make it any better, but you keep surprising us.
Also, I didn't even notice the missing lip till I read about it and like it better this way, now the wheel gap is equal.
Keep up the good work.
Corolla AE82 GT
Renault Captur TCe 150
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

masterpivo schreef:One word: NAAAAIIICCEEEEE!!! :D :D

And one word about this: brilliant!! :D :D This is how decisions about customizing your car has to be made! ;)
Haha thanks man. There's often a compromise to be made, and the front lip was a case of form vs function, but the driveway was the winner on this occasion :lol:
toyo bob schreef:A couple of mods ago I thought you couldn't make it any better, but you keep surprising us.
Also, I didn't even notice the missing lip till I read about it and like it better this way, now the wheel gap is equal.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers Bob! :D. I'm constantly thinking about the next mod to do, something that is getting harder and harder as I start running out of ideas. I'll keep the updates coming though! 8-)
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

Decided to do a couple of small things to the Aurion this weekend. Had some stick-on chrome trim left so put some around the rear lip. Hard to notice unless you know it's not meant to be there, but makes it look a little better back there.

Tinted the LED bumper reflectors with a 50% opacity black film, so it's now the same color as the tail lights and has no more glare but isn't fully black when switched off (much better than the 20% tint or red film I tried previously).

And, last but not least, loaded some custom dash faces onto my head-unit which work with the DashCommand OBD-II software I have installed.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
masterpivo
Ambassador member
Ambassador member

That are some awesome functions you got there on the mid console!! :D :D I LIKEEEE!! :D
And this is an 'OEM' possible option to install (with use of the DashCommand) or does the DashCommand create this kind of vehicle characteristics?
SkaBla
President member
President member
Type Corolla: EE111

Bericht door SkaBla »

Very nice digital dials! Which OBD-II dongle do you use for this?
Starlet Power :D
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

Thanks guys. The DashCommand app is installed on the headunit, which is an aftermarket Android unit (which is designed to look like a factory one, just a lot better, lol). The OBD-II dongle is just an ELM327. Can use the USB, Bluetooth or WiFi version.

Afbeelding
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

New mods! I discovered that EZ Lip have recently introduced a silver version into their 'Colors' range, so I decided to buy one off and give it a shot. My front bumper has seen a few lips over the last 18-months that I've had the car, all of which have been torn off or been damaged beyond repair due to the entrance of my garage and the height of the front-end, so I'm not planning on the EZ Lip sticking around for the long run, but for now it looks good. Upon the first drive into the garage it tore where the lip meets the 3M VHB double-sided tape (no fault of the lip itself) but it's not overly noticeable and seems to spring back for the most part every time it happens.

The 'silver' is actually more of a very light grey, which in directly sunlight is quite a lot lighter than the actual color of the car, but if it lasts the distance I may look at trying to stain it slightly or maybe even plasti-dipping it to be slightly darker. Who knows, once it gets dirty from road grime etc it may naturally become darker, lol.

The other new addition was the carbon fiber looking sideskirt extensions. Some of you may remember that I had one of these on the front bumper before I lowered it even further, which got torn off by the driveway straight away. I had two brand new spare ones sitting in the wardrobe however so thought I'd put them to good use. The photos don't really do them justice, but you get the idea.

That's it for the weekend. Back to driving the car and clenching my butt cheeks every time I enter a driveway :lol:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

And some random photos taken before the new additions:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Perre
CCNL Member
CCNL Member

Bericht door Perre »

Looks awesome, as allways. I have to say that I like your determination. My car is so low, I can't enter my own driveway, you know what? I'll put in an extra lip so it becomes even lower. I love that atitude.
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

Perre schreef:Looks awesome, as allways. I have to say that I like your determination. My car is so low, I can't enter my own driveway, you know what? I'll put in an extra lip so it becomes even lower. I love that atitude.
Haha thanks man. I was running no lip for a while and even then the underside of the bumper scrapes on the concrete when entering the garage and has taken the paint off under there (luckily it's not visible from above), but the front looks so 'nude' without something to bridge the gap between the two silver claws of the bumper ends.

I had actually bought a plastic universal splitter from the US which cost me a small fortune, but upon an initial test fit (just slid it under the bumper at it's lowest point where it scrapes coming into the garage) it was clear that the lip would explode on the first attempt, lol. So that one is currently sitting in the garage, collecting dust, but I'm planning on using it on my partner's Toyota Wish instead as it fits her bumper nicely and even though her car is also lowered, it's not anywhere as low as mine in the front :)

That's where the EZ Lip comes in though - It's flexible enough to be pushed out of the way when squished between the bumper and concrete, but the downside is that something's gotta give, and the concrete's gonna win every time. So right now I'm 50% winning and 50% losing - I have a slightly torn lip which could potentially get a lot worse in the future but for now it still looks good in the process. It's a glass half full vs half empty kinda thing :lol:

Afbeelding
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

TRD fuel cap cover = +12kW :P

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Perre
CCNL Member
CCNL Member

Bericht door Perre »

wait wait, fuel cap 'cover'. So this goes over the original fuelcap? It's not a fuelcap on it's own?
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

Perre schreef:wait wait, fuel cap 'cover'. So this goes over the original fuelcap? It's not a fuelcap on it's own?
Yep, a cover which goes over the original fuel cap :). Gets held on with 3M double-sided tape.
masterpivo
Ambassador member
Ambassador member

HAHA! That story about the front bumper lip! :) Also what Perre says: You are just looking for the risk you'll get with an extra low front bumper! :P I think you're only doing this for the kick all the time!
That side skirt extensions... what's the use of that? Is it only show or is there also a kind of function like a better air flow around the car? Never seen some things like that before I have to say. ;)
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

Afbeelding
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

masterpivo schreef:HAHA! That story about the front bumper lip! :) Also what Perre says: You are just looking for the risk you'll get with an extra low front bumper! :P I think you're only doing this for the kick all the time!
That side skirt extensions... what's the use of that? Is it only show or is there also a kind of function like a better air flow around the car? Never seen some things like that before I have to say. ;)
Haha, I definitely don't get a kick out of my bumper scraping into the garage every time I come home, but I refuse to be defeated by a stupid concrete lip :P. There's no real point of the sideskirt extensions. They just give the perception that the car is slightly lower to the ground and they look a bit different 8-)
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
PatrickE11
CCNL Member
CCNL Member
CCNL lidnummer: 857

Bericht door PatrickE11 »

Is this car in the same class as a Camry or more like the Chaser? It is a beautiful car. It looks a little bit like a Holden Commadore from far away.
By the way i have that cap cover to but without 3m tape in it. I just clicked it in and its stuck :lol:
Vorige auto: Toyota Corolla E11 1.6 16v Linea Terra
Huidige auto: Audi A3 1.8T Stage 2 tuned
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

PatrickE11 schreef:Is this car in the same class as a Camry or more like the Chaser? It is a beautiful car. It looks a little bit like a Holden Commadore from far away.
By the way i have that cap cover to but without 3m tape in it. I just clicked it in and its stuck :lol:
The chassis is exactly the same as the Camry, just a different front & rear end, and a different engine. The doors, windscreens, suspension and brakes are all the same. The Camry is an ACV40 and the Aurion is a GSV40, both FWD :). Thanks! The Aurion was designed to compete with the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon, and managed to make more power than both rivals in V6 form AND have better fuel economy. Definitely looks a lot like a Commodore though if you squint a little, haha. Nice to hear that your TRD cap stuck without the tape! My one is still holding on nicely, so fingers crossed it never pops off :)
Namssam
CCNL Member
CCNL Member
CCNL lidnummer: 855
Type Corolla: 4AFE Auto.

Bericht door Namssam »

Yo Kiwi,

Just a question about the licence plates....

As previously WHIPPED (and W1SH for the lady)
Does the NZ law checkes self invented number-letter codes?
E.g. can you come up with every set of numbers/letters you like?
Mijn project : viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48746#p792805
E9- 4FE '89 (van 2000 - 2014) Exported
E11-4AFE '98 (van 2014 - 2015) Chrashed
E11-4AFE '99 (van 2015 - 2024) In de verkoop.. :-(
CT200h '18 (van 2024 - ) Just start driving
Kiwi-Corolla
General member
General member

Namssam schreef:Yo Kiwi,

Just a question about the licence plates....

As previously WHIPPED (and W1SH for the lady)
Does the NZ law checkes self invented number-letter codes?
E.g. can you come up with every set of numbers/letters you like?
Yep, you can buy personalized license plates for cars, motorcycle and trailers. You're allowed up to 6 letters/numbers for a car, and up to 5 on a motorcycle or trailer. The license plate is unique to your car, as in once you own it nobody else in the entire country can have the same one (unlike some other countries where the plate 'design' goes state-by-state). Personalized plates have been available in NZ since 1988, so as you can imagine most of the best plate letter/number combinations have been taken, but fortunately you can buy and sell your plates privately.

All 3 of the plates we've had have been secondhand, mainly because the combination was already taken, and because they're expensive to buy brand new. WH1PPD was originally on a horse float :lol:, W1SH was on another Wish somewhere in the country and the Aurion's 00 01 00 was on something else but hadn't been on a vehicle in a while (you can keep them on your bedroom wall if you like as they don't actually have to be registered to a vehicle at all times, so if you take them off to display or sell them then you can get standard government issued plates for only $15 from any local post office).

The 00 01 00 is likely quite valuable as there aren't any other combinations like that with just the 01 in the middle and actual zeros on each end. When I originally bought the plate the numbers were all together (000100), which didn't make it as appealing to others so I managed to get it for a good price. As soon as I received them I placed an order with the personalized plates company to get the plates remade but this time with two spaces (you're only allowed spaces if you have a 1 or letter I in the plate as it gives you a bit more room). This only cost me $20 and the plates arrived in the mail, brand new (no more stone chips from the previous owner etc), with the spacing I wanted and also in the newer 'font' (the original plates were made a number of years ago when the zeros were a different design).

You can get plates re-manufactured to be brand new again, but only if you're the owner of them, and only if they're personalized. If your standard government issued plates get damaged or you get sick of them you can go to the post office, pay the $15, hand over your old plates and get whatever letter/number combination they're currently up to at the time. In the old days it used to be two letters and 4 numbers (eg. YW7811, which was the originally plate on the Corolla when it arrived in NZ after being imported from Japan back in the year 2000). A few years after that however they were at the end of the two letter combination and it moved onto the 3 letter combination (eg. FLA146, like the Corolla was when I had to get the original plates replaced when one of them got damaged after someone went up the back of it in 2010).

Some government issued plates can also be 5 characters too, but it's luck of the draw since they have to be the first 99 sets of that letter series (eg. The Aurion's original plate was DRC15). There were also 4 character ones (eg. ERM6), but those are even rarer since you only get 9 per letter series. Though, most people with standard license plates don't care anyway, and some are unfortunate enough to get plates such as 'GAY169' (no disrespect intended to any gays out there). The government skip several letter combos however, such as DIK, FUK, CUM, BUM etc, but were probably quite scared of banning the word 'GAY' because either way there's going to be an outcry :lol:

So to sum it up in a tl;dr manner:
* You can have any letter/number combo you like as soon as it's not rude, vulgar or offensive.
* Most of the good ones are already taken and are expensive (over $1000 NZD) to buy new.
* You can buy and sell already bought or made plates that you own and transfer ownership.
* P/plates don't have to be assigned to the vehicle all the time (can be displayed or collected).
* Standard government issued plates are cheap and easy to get, though boring (and sometimes funny).
* P/plates can be remade for a small fee to be brand new again, though gov issued plates cannot.
* Secondhand p/plates can range from $100-$500,000, depending on how deluded the seller is.
* If you're patient and extremely lucky you can get a cool gov plate for under $20 (eg. GTR666).
* Every p/plate is unique and cannot be created or duplicated by anyone else in the country.
* Every license plate in NZ looks the same in terms of colour and design (except dealers yellow test drive plates).
* In the old days NZ plates used to be black with white letters, but are now white with black letters.
* You can add text to the top or bottom of your p/plate for a rather large fee (handy for phone #'s, websites etc).
* You can turn your p/plate or gov plate into a red lettered plate for a rather large fee.
* Back in the day you used to be able to buy investment plates with rare combos, which had blue lettering.

At this point you've probably boiled the jug half a dozen times, fallen to sleep for 3-hours and are fatigued more than a monkey trying to masturbate, so I'll leave it at that - But that's the general history of license plates in NZ, and the lengths some of us go to in an effort to keep our cars unique as possible on NZ roads 8-)
Plaats reactie